Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: big problems with abit kt7a-raid ewsxl and w2k

  1. #11
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Ok Phill, I don't really think that there's a difference in opinion between us. I only meant to say that you better use Win98 from the perspective of the EWS. I myself use Win2k on my Toshiba notebook and I'm very satisfied with it (more stable indeed). But when I first installed it, I had to download lots of specific Toshiba drivers (also for the sound components) to get it working with Win2k. And this is the crux of the problem I think: as long as a manufacturer writes a good driver or application software that's especially intended for Win2k everything should work fine. But what about 'older' hardware, like the EWS? I guess Terratec runs into the limits of the Dream chip here, which was designed in the Win95 period.
    All the examples you give refer to software. And I think those software developers (especially those who make memory and processor intensive applications, like for audio and video) want to benefit from the advantages of Win2k here (no 256MB limit for instance). But I think you will agree that Microsoft originally intended Win2k for the business market, not for multimedia purposes. So we have to thank all those other software developers for making W2k more suitable for audio and video etc. I never tested this, but I guess when you install Win2k on a random chosen computer I bet Win98 or Win ME initially recognizes a wider variaty of multimedia hardware than Win2k. Recently I heard an example of someone who installed W2k and wanted to use his (not particularly old) Philips USB webcam. To no avail. So I think the main issue regarding Win2k is hardware compatibility with 'older' (multimedia-)stuff. As you know Win NT already knew a 'hardware compatibility list'. To my knowledge Win2k's less choosy in this field, but I guess a list like that still exists.
    As I know that most EWS users want to concentrate on making music and not on solving all kinds of OS-problems, I thought the best advice would be: stay away from Win2k and Asio drivers if you want to make your life easier with the EWS. smile

  2. #12
    Inactive Member KKu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I agree to you Arnold: better stay away from W2K (but then again, w98 doesn't support multi-processor *grin* *grin* *GRIN*) AND especially from ASIO-drivers...

    Pro Tools Free (which finally runs ok at my system, woohoo!) doesn't support W2K (*GRIN!*) ... I mean, if you want to use multi-channel audio software, this one is excellent (no flaming, that's my opinion). Also I have found that Logic Audio still runs best at W98, even though that it works in w2k.

    Somehow, I just can't hope any more support or new drivers for 64XL in 98/ME/XP windows... actually, I am just waiting that TT releases new card which have same features and more as 64XL but uses PCI slot and (hopefully) have decent drivers from beginnig of the card.

    .KKu

    ------------------
    ... mmm, coffeebreak!
    [email protected] http://www.k4web.net
    Now w. ICQ, feel free to contact.
    Nowadays as father of baby boy!

  3. #13
    Inactive Member gomf's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2001
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well i guess that's what i'm going to do too... i will stay away from w2k and look for another really good PCI soundcard... by the way i have the feeling as if my ews makes my system slower than it is.. :-(

  4. #14
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Well Gomf, if you decide to buy a new pci soundcard anyway, your operating system options should be open again. For example: the Sound Blaster Platinum runs under W2k (only an example: this card is not a good choice for professional audio editing).
    My advise would be: check on the internet first before you buy a new card (especially look for user forums like this, that way you get information about the card in 'real life').
    Also: ask yourself want you're planning to do with the new card. When you for example don't need the synthesizer and sampling stuff on a card, but just want to do audio editing etc., the EWX 24/96 is an excellent and relatively cheap option (tested very good, but note that the midi in/outs are optional!). And as Philippz already said: Cubase runs under W2k.
    Good luck

  5. #15
    Inactive Member philippz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2000
    Posts
    109
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to what the Emagic staff was telling me at their booth at the Musik Messe in Frankfurt this year, Logic 5.0, which shall be released in september, will also be Win2K-compatible and support WDM drivers.

    Bye, Philipp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •